COMM 1117 Lecture 17: COMM 1117 - Political argument part 2

36 views2 pages
Patterns in use analysis of public sphere political argumentation
Progressive and conservative presumptions
1. For the purposes of this discussion, these two positions will serve to represent the predominant
ideologies in American politics today.
2. Why do these presumptions matter?
a. There is not a single path to a good and just society, and thus debate becomes essential to
governing.
b. Progressives and conservatives adhere to certain presumptions about appropriate government
action but are committed to the process of argument to test the soundness of those
presumptions in particular situations.
c. Why are they presumptions?
i. Progressives would argue that change is preferred, though some policies and
institutions should remain firm
ii. Conservatives argue that present policies are best, but occasionally change is necessary
Political Argumentation
Using political argument to create difference
1. Separating appearance from reality- Argue that there is a difference between what the person says
and what he or she does or really believes
a. Ex. Neso: I guess the iggest siilarit that I a persoall eperieig is politiias saig
one thing in private and saying another completely differet thig i puli.
b. Ex. Former Speaker of the House John Boehner seemed to separate appearance from reality by
announcing recently that he had changed his views on marijuana.
2. Claim or disclaim responsibility- Argue that you proposed something good or did not propose
something bad
Ex. Neso: I thik ourage is oesurate ith puli opiio. Politiias ill egi to sa
pulil hat the’re o saig priatel oe puli opiio turs i their faor.
Ex. Newsom blames the slow pace of marijuana legalization on the cowardice of other
politicians.
3. Make leadership a question of personal character - Argue that some people, especially opponents,
lack the character to be good leaders
Ex. Neso: I dead a little it ore fro  eleted offiials, hih is ourage, oitio,
principle, and leadership, but in the absence of that eventually I think they are going to catch up
to the puli.
Ex. Newsom claims that he and the people he would support have the courage to taken on
opponents of marijuana legalization
4. Say goodbye- Argue that you still care about a group of people, but that you will no longer commit
yourself to do things for them politically
Ex. Neso: I thik ou are going to see this breaking across the board for a fundamental
reaso. There is a hole illeial geeratio ad the just do’t get it… the do’t uderstad
h e are iareratig people for persoal possessio.
Ex. Newsom says goodbye to his supporters who want marijuana possession to remain illegal.
He hopes they will understand.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class