AST 301 Lecture Notes - Lecture 41: Globular Cluster, Light-Year, Photon

23 views4 pages
3 Dec 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What do we want to know about the universe. Cosmology is everything we want to know about the universe. If the u(cid:374)i(cid:448)erse is i(cid:374)fi(cid:374)ite i(cid:374) size, age, a(cid:374)d is isotropi(cid:272) the(cid:374) it does(cid:374)"t (cid:373)atter (cid:449)here (cid:455)ou look, (cid:455)ou"d see a star a(cid:374)d the sk(cid:455) (cid:449)ould radiate as bright as the sun. Therefore: the universe has finite size, finite age, universe is expanding. The distance to a galaxy determines how big of a shift toward the red we see its spectrum. All galaxies move away from each other. The further a galaxy is from another galaxy, the greater the difference. Within a galaxy cluster, where gravity is stronger than the expansion of space, you can have motion towards each other. But outside the cluster the galaxies recede from you. The redshift is not due to the doppler effect, but it is cosmological, the metric of the universe changes. A light wave traveling through an expanding universe stretches, and wavelength increases.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers