RTF 307 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Ethnography, Asian Americans, Max Horkheimer

40 views3 pages

Document Summary

Media effects positions audiences as passive receivers of media messages. Early cultural studies theorists (i. e. adorno and horkheimer) considered audiences as passive absorbers of ideology. Reception theory (cid:862)acti(cid:448)e(cid:863) audiences rather than passive receptors of ideology. Media owners have economic clout but audie(cid:374)ces deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)e a text(cid:859)s ulti(cid:373)ate sig(cid:374)ifica(cid:374)ce. Acknowledges that media institutions embed texts with particular messages and meanings. Framework for the ways audiences can interpret those messages and meanings. Creating a message according to a particular code (i. e. frameworks of knowledge, production conventions, ideology) Using a code (i. e. frameworks of knowledge, ideology, genre conventions) to decipher a message and formulate meaning encoding (e. g. media producers) media text (e. g. film) decoding (e. g. audience interpretation) (cid:862)preferred readi(cid:374)g(cid:863) a(cid:374)d types of codes. The code that is used to create media texts. Preferred reading typically support hegemonic structures of power. Draws on dominant ideologies of normativity and difference. Code of the audience is identical to the code of the producer.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers