ED PSYCH 321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: The Two Cultures, Demography Of The United States, Centrality

26 views3 pages

Document Summary

I believe that it"s influenced greatly by society because when you receive so many labels it would be hard to not absorb them. The society reads you as a certain way. Process is similar to the process of identity development in general. Unquestioning view of oneself is displaced or upset by a crisis. Wait a minute, maybe who i thought i was isn"t who i am. Individuals" sense of identity as related to ancestry or racial group membership. Individuals establish a sense of personal identity that includes ethnic identity. Individual"s ethnic identity is enhanced by exposure to one"s culture. Understanding and valuing one"s culture (usually by parents) More pan-ethnic (describes a number of different ethnicities) Adopting the majority culture"s norms and standards while rejecting those of one"s own group. Living within the majority culture but feeling estranged and outcast. Associating only with members of one"s own culture and rejecting the majority culture.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers