BSCI 1511 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Antigen, Telomere, House Mouse

54 views5 pages

Document Summary

High throughput sequencing = a vital genomics technology a. Genomics is much more than genome sequencing: genomics = the study of whole sets of genes, their products, and their interactions a. i. Field encompassing transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, and various other omics approaches a. ii. Provides list of parts of our genomes: genomics requires bioinformatics b. i. Bioinformatics = the application of computational methods to the storage and analysis of biological data b. i. 1. Solves problem of how to assemble fragments of dna into long sections b. ii. Gene annotation = the process of identifying all protein-coding genes in a genome sequence and ultimately their function: centralized resources for analyzing genome sequences c. i. Ncbi = contains extensive bioinformatics resources such as: c. i. 1. c. i. 2. Blast = can compare genes you found with a public database c. i. 2. a. Variation in genome size: genomes vary in size, # of genes, and gene density, most bacteria and archaea have small genomes (1-6 mb) and 1,500 to 7,500 genes b. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers