BIOL 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Sister Chromatids, Homologous Chromosome, Meiosis

43 views2 pages
29 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

In animals, the cells that are produced in meiosis--thus getting half the number of chromosomes--are always reproductive cells, called gametes: such a reduced-chromosomal state are said to be haploid: possessing a single set of chromosomes; referred as n. Diploid: possessing two sets of chromosomes; referred as 2n. Meiosis: a process in which a single diploid cell divides to produce four haploid cells. End of interphase - prior to meiosis: dna has already duplicated. Homologous chromosomes link as they condense, forming tetrads: when homologous chromosomes pair up; ex: paternal 6 and maternal 6. Another thing occurs at the same time -- crossing over: a process, occurring during meiosis, in which homologous chromosomes exchange reciprocal portions of themselves: metaphase i. Microtubules move homologous chromosomes to metaphase pate. Another occurs -- independent assortment: the random distribution of homologous chromosome pairs during meiosis: anaphase i. Microtubules separate homologous chromosomes (sister chromatids remain together: telophase i. Two haploid daughter cells result from cytokinesis.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers