L33 Psych 353 Lecture Notes - Lecture 31: Self Esteem (Song), David Buss, Intelligence Quotient

8 views5 pages

Document Summary

Possible selves: future self, the images we have or can construct the other ways we might be or might become. Ideal self the self that we think we are, that we strive and want to be: ought the self that we is laden with the shoulds. I should be this: discrepancy between the two can leave to negative affects, self-guides - ought and ideal self provide self-guides for behavior possible self. I know everything in the whole world : self-esteem changes as development progresses evidence is very small. Self esteem: am i good or bad, defined: the evaluative part of the self-concept, 1987 california legislature important aspect, low self-esteem dissatisfaction, hopelessness, depression, loneliness, delinquency, evolutionary roots: mark leary promote acceptance by social group. Being compared to other kids in school their status as a group. Implicit v. explicit: reactions to criticisms and failure feedback, self esteem in terms of how we react to criticisms and feedback.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers