GPHY 101 Study Guide - Final Guide: Postmodernity, Cittaslow, Feng Shui

69 views2 pages
browntermite748 and 67 others unlocked
GPHY 101 Full Course Notes
GPHY 101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
10 documents

Document Summary

Chapter 2 : interpreting places and landscapes: territoriality refers to the persistent attachment of individuals or peoples to a specific location or territory. Territoriality allows for the regulation of social interaction and access to resources. The field of proxemics studies the social and cultural meanings that people give to personal space. Paths: the channels along which they and others move (i. e. , streets, transit lines, canals). Edges: the barriers that separate one area from another (i. e. , shorelines, walls, railroad tracks). Districts: areas with identifiable cultural/physical characters (i. e. , business, ethnic neighborhood): cognitive imagery influences people"s behaviour. Shopping behaviour (i. e. , finding a particular district more attractive/repellent). The settlement of north american was strongly influenced by the changing images of the prairies. The response to environmental hazards (i. e. , floods, earthquakes, storms) and the associated risks: the humanistic approach to analyzing landscapes emphasizes the individual and his/her values, landscape-as-text refers to that it is written & read.