POLS 110 Study Guide - Final Guide: Security Dilemma, Democratic Peace Theory, Cuban Missile Crisis

45 views13 pages

Document Summary

Definition: freedom from threats (physical and core values) Realist theory = predominant theory during cold war, security referred to as in military terms, aka national security of national community (state) they lived in because wars were usually between countries. Buza(cid:374)"s defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374) suggests that (cid:449)e are past this, a(cid:374)d (cid:373)ust (cid:272)o(cid:374)sider politi(cid:272)al, social, environmental issues life of individuals is at risk = security concern i. e. water pollution. Others argue that focus should be on ethnic differences (post-cold war(cid:895) . Terrorism is an organization vs organization and the civilians are the victims. Their actions are not bound by military regulations or actions. Therefore because attackers are spread out and hidden, it causes global fear (it (cid:862)ps(cid:455)(cid:272)hologi(cid:272)al (cid:449)arfare(cid:863) (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause their i(cid:374)te(cid:374)tio(cid:374) is to (cid:272)reate fear could happen anywhere), causing nations across the world to form alliances (cooperate) Focus on states (as responsible for providing security) I(cid:374)terstate relatio(cid:374)s = struggle } realist"s pov: peace is not possible and violence is inevitable.