MHR 841 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Volkswagen, Interlocking Directorate, Toothpaste

213 views11 pages
Chapter 1: Introduction to Organizations
Historical Perspectives
Henry Minceberg- one of the major researchers in organizational theory
-so for his PHD he selected a bunch of managers from organizations and followed them around and recorded their
actually activities
-so he described and categorized many of the activities they engaged in then he made roles
-industrial revolution is when we wanted to start understanding organizational theory more, Frederick Taylor
-he aalzed people ho ae’t eduated, ho ee oked efoe, ho a ou ig the ito a fato ad get
them effective in a short period of time
-keep jobs as simple as possile, edue tasks, ad it’ll let people lea easie : e assel lie i fatoies
-ost people ioled i agiultue duig this tie, ad the he tehiues ipoed the ee’t eeded as
much anymore, so moved into the city, and factories were a result of that
-then organizations started becoming more complex, products became more complex
-i 4’s ad so o- how do we organize large complex organizations?
-bureaucracy; used by government a lot back then, one of the overwriting rules in this term is overwriting, it over laps
rules
-so If e’e i the eeiig ed of ueaua e thik og h a o oe ake a deisio? but its designed that
way so not one person can make the decision, it was designed to reduce corruption and slow down decision making,
so that people can think of their decisions
-bureaucracy is usually associated with Webber, he wrote about this a lot, it was all about safeguarding
-i 4’s people ee oe likel to hae eduatio, ette stadad of liig, ette uality of life, and attention
turned to people and that people had to be managed
-Taylor Fedrick believed it was all about the task, but then it became all about people, and managing them
-Hawthorne effect- a study done in Chicago, where a group of workers were studied, and the conclusion was when
you pay more attention to people they perform better and are more efficient
-so i the ’s thee as a huge shift, i hat e osideed to e a ogaizatio ad hat as ipotat i the
Organizational Theory in Action: Air Canada
-a lot of people do’t like ai Caada i geeal
-they have so many government regulations to deal with, their not free to do what they
-the’e ee oligated to follo etai outes hih is ot pofitale fo the
-its more complex for air Canada to survive because of the rules placed on them over
others
-overall, they did survive in the end
Current Challenges
Globalization: free air trade where organizations are required to compete with organizations all over
the world
-Canada signed a lot of trade agreements, which made trade much easier (NAFTA)
-if your manufacturing a product here in Canada BEFORE you only had to worry about competition
without Canada, because tariffs protected you..not anymore
-information and finance- the financial system, in a short period of time it became really easy to move
money now, before it would take time
Ethics and social responsibility:
Speed of responsiveness: everything started speeding up, bureaucracy had to be changed, because
people would just go to another organization to come to a faster decision
-social media, email, we want everything addressed
The digital workplace: organizations expect their employees to be available all the time, this allows
people to work from home, the beach, anywhere, this is much easier and faster
-but with this comes the displacement of the jobs of the people who used to help with these things
Diversity: greater pool of diversity now
Social Entities that are
Goal Directed- people are brought together to carry out some sort of task, objective, goal, reason
Designed with structure- they work with structure and coordinated systems
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 11 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Linked to the external environment- ad thee’s soe sot of oetio to the eteal eioet
Types of Organizations
size -shifts how organizations function, etc
e do’t epet the sae thig of sall usiess (e people ould steal fo a lage opa ot a sall
one)
profit vs non profit: e’e oeed ith ogaizatios i a piate sese
What is an Organization? 1.3 Model
-create value for owners should be the biggest circle
-a eaple is the apple stoe, thei o loge goig to all the stoe, thei goig to all the to
etes hee ou joi thei old
-organizations have to please their stakeholders
Perspectives on Organizations
-1.4 in textbook
-examples of closed system organization: a country would be North Korea, an amish community,
monasteries
closed system- a system that is autonomous, enclosed, and not dependent on its environment
open system-a system that must interact with the environment to survive
-1.5A
5 Basic Parts of an Organization:
-technical core/line- the group of people who do the basic work in an organization (whatever that work
is: flying a plane, teaching kids, etc)
top management- STRATEGIC APEX, small group of people at the top who are responsible for strategy,
there supposed to have less activity in the organization on a daily basis
middle management- worried about ordering supplies, hiring employees, day to day functions
technical support staff/techno structure- what ever support is required for the rest of the organization to
function (ex the guy who fixed the powerpoint in class today)
administrative support staff- the support staff that assists others in stuff that is’t tehial (e Reso
receptionists)
What is Organization Design? (Video In class)
Unlock document

-volkswagen was mentioned as a organization
-the issue with that company was that the emissions was priced higher, they knew about, and they made
so that the emissions would show a certain result, a car would operate differently while under a test as
opposed to really on the road, they designed a way to fake passing the emission test
-social responsibility concern
Dimensions of Organization Design
1. Formalization- refers to the amount of written documentation in the organization, this includes
procedures, job descriptions, etc
2. Specialization- the degree to which organizational tasks are subdivided into separate jobs
3. Hierarchy of authority-describes who reports to whom and the span of control for each manager
4. Centralization- hierarchical level that ahs authority to make a decision
5. Professionalism- the level of formal education and training of employees
6. Personnel ratios- the deployment of people to various functions and departments
Contextual dimensions- characterize the whole organization, including its size, technology, culture,
environment and goals and strategy
Performance and Effectiveness outcomes
Efficiency- refers to the amount of resources used to achiebe the organizations goals
-your more efficient if you can create more output with the same amount of input
effectiveness- the degree to which an organization achieves its goals
-effectiveness is more about doing more it is that you said to do, or what is right
-you can be efficient and not effective
stakeholder approach- integrates diverse organizational activities by looking at various organizations
performance
-please your stakeholders
-the environment: e usuall do’t see this, its outside of ou ie
Discussion Q and A
-usually their trying to get rid of middle management
-or people are outsourcing to save costs
-some organizations have outsourced pretty much everything (virtual organization) (nike is one of them)
very few employees, they do manufacturing/distributing through subcontractors
-textbooks are biased
Chapter 2: Strategy, Organizational Design, and Effectiveness
Tim Hortons
-starbucks vs tim hortons mission statement
-tim hortons was very vague and starbucks focuses more on the product
Organizational Purpose
-the mission is more who you think you want to be, the goal may specifically be who you are
-because the organizational always tries to tell individuals who they think they are
-shares values and beliefs & reason for being & vision
Operative Goals- designate the ends sought through the actual operating procedures of the organization
and explain what the organization is actually trying to do they describe specific measurable outcomes
and concerned with short run what do employees work towards
Framework for Selecting Strategy and Design
Porters Competitive Strategies
Unlock document

Document Summary

Henry minceberg- one of the major researchers in organizational theory. So for his phd he selected a bunch of managers from organizations and followed them around and recorded their actually activities. So he described and categorized many of the activities they engaged in then he made roles. Industrial revolution is when we wanted to start understanding organizational theory more, frederick taylor. He a(cid:374)al(cid:455)zed people (cid:449)ho a(cid:396)e(cid:374)"t edu(cid:272)ated, (cid:449)ho (cid:374)e(cid:448)e(cid:396) (cid:449)o(cid:396)ked (cid:271)efo(cid:396)e, ho(cid:449) (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:455)ou (cid:271)(cid:396)i(cid:374)g the(cid:373) i(cid:374)to a fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)(cid:455) a(cid:374)d get them effective in a short period of time. Keep jobs as simple as possi(cid:271)le, (cid:396)edu(cid:272)e tasks, a(cid:374)d it"ll let people lea(cid:396)(cid:374) easie(cid:396) : e(cid:454) asse(cid:373)(cid:271)l(cid:455) li(cid:374)e i(cid:374) fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)ies. (cid:373)ost people i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed i(cid:374) ag(cid:396)i(cid:272)ultu(cid:396)e du(cid:396)i(cid:374)g this ti(cid:373)e, a(cid:374)d the(cid:374) (cid:449)he(cid:374) te(cid:272)h(cid:374)i(cid:395)ues i(cid:373)p(cid:396)o(cid:448)ed the(cid:455) (cid:449)e(cid:396)e(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eeded as much anymore, so moved into the city, and factories were a result of that. Then organizations started becoming more complex, products became more complex.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers