MUSIC 29 Study Guide - Spring 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Violin, Harmonic, Piano

148 views26 pages
12 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
MUSIC 29
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 26 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Chapter 1 summary
My experience as a listener connects to the ambient listening modes because that happens to
us all the tie. We alk o the street ith differet oises goig o ut e are’t aare of
that. People alk pass us gossipig ad laughig ut e o’t e payig attention to that.
Instead, we will just listen to it without even thinking. Sometimes in class, students will be
distracted by some thoughts going on in their mind.
At that oet, the professor’s talk ill eoe a aiet oie that the studets ill hear
the voice going on but will not remember what the professor says. Other than ambient listening
mode, I have also been in casual listening mode before. Casual listening mode turns on when
people listen to a sound and recognize it by the voice it makes.
Whe e are driig, e heard the ar hor. We do’t eed to look at it to reogize it’s fro
the ar. We use our istit to ko hat the soud is oig fro. It’s useful he e a’t
see where the sound is coming from.
One of the most common modes of listening is a headphone listening. It is when we are
listening through our headphones. We use our headphones to listen to music in public so that
we wont disturb people. Nowadays, we all use headphones to talk, to listen to music and to
listen to radio. It is an intimate listening mode that the sound is coming directly from a close
distance to our ears.
Unlike headphone listening, live listening is when people go to a concert to listen to music.
Different from headphone listening that is for individual, live listening is for a group of people. I
like to go to concerts. Last time I went to concert is few months ago when I went to maroon 5
concerts in November. Thousands of people in oracle arena can hear the music going on. It is an
example of live listening mode.
Lastly, my experience as a listener connects to narrative listening. It is when the listeners are
able to connect the sound to a story or image. It happens to me mostly when I listen to music.
The song reminds me of a memory I had with my family or friend. Whenever I listen to the
song, I remember what happened around that time and all the great memories behind it.
Chapter 2 summary
When I first listened to the audio, it was a single high pitch sound. And slowly, it becomes more
complex by adding the different frequency. After a few seconds, I can no longer distinguish the
original sound from the others. When listening to the single tone for a few seconds, it is ok. But
if I listen to it for a long time, I believe it will drive me crazy.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

It is like the echo of the sound that just stuck in your head. Or it is more like when you come
back from a party and the only thing your ears can hear is a single sine tone that will be there the
whole night. When more tones enter, it becomes our everyday noises.
Noises people make on the street, in the classroom, on campus. It is like the combination of
different people talking and shouting. The sound is no longer from one source. At first, I was still
trying to distinguish the original one from the others. But later on, it is too hard as there are so
many different added sounds. It becomes such a mess.
I feel like I am in a market place where people just shouted and talk very loud. The environment
isn’t cohesive at all. As the audio moves toward the middle, it becomes like the sound radio
makes when it has no connection. It is like when everything is trashed together. It is not a sound
anymore, but a noise. It makes me feel uncomfortable. For the example I can think of now as
being a sound might be a song. The singer sings the song with the same pitch and same
frequency.
It comes only from one source. Another example will be a speech or a talk. Since the voice
comes from one place, it has one frequency. However, most of the audios in the world are noises.
For example, the noise students make when they are chatting in a classroom.
Different people have different sine tone frequency; as a result, they create different frequency
sound that is made into noise. Also, on the street when people just randomly shout and talk, they
together create a noise. People aren’t able to distinguish a single sound from the other. The
sources of sound aren’t clear as so many people talk at the same time with different tone and
frequency. Conversely, for single sine tone frequency, it is clean and clear.
Unlock document

Document Summary

My experience as a listener connects to the ambient listening modes because that happens to us all the ti(cid:373)e. we (cid:449)alk o(cid:374) the street (cid:449)ith differe(cid:374)t (cid:374)oises goi(cid:374)g o(cid:374) (cid:271)ut (cid:449)e are(cid:374)"t a(cid:449)are of that. People (cid:449)alk pass us gossipi(cid:374)g a(cid:374)d laughi(cid:374)g (cid:271)ut (cid:449)e (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e payi(cid:374)g attention to that. Instead, we will just listen to it without even thinking. Sometimes in class, students will be distracted by some thoughts going on in their mind. At that (cid:373)o(cid:373)e(cid:374)t, the professor"s talk (cid:449)ill (cid:271)e(cid:272)o(cid:373)e a(cid:374) a(cid:373)(cid:271)ie(cid:374)t (cid:448)oi(cid:272)e that the stude(cid:374)ts (cid:449)ill hear the voice going on but will not remember what the professor says. Other than ambient listening mode, i have also been in casual listening mode before. Casual listening mode turns on when people listen to a sound and recognize it by the voice it makes. Whe(cid:374) (cid:449)e are dri(cid:448)i(cid:374)g, (cid:449)e heard the (cid:272)ar hor(cid:374). We do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed to look at it to re(cid:272)og(cid:374)ize it"s fro(cid:373) the (cid:272)ar.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers