PSYC 111 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Jean Piaget, Neuroticism, Cognitive Development

82 views10 pages

Document Summary

Homeostasis- a state of psychological equilibrium or stability. Drive- hypothetical, internal state of tension that motivates an organism to engage in activities that should reduce this tension. Incentive- an external goal that has the capacity to motivate behavior. Drive theories- apply the concept of homeostasis to behavior: whe(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals e(cid:454)pe(cid:396)ie(cid:374)(cid:272)e as d(cid:396)i(cid:448)e, the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e (cid:373)oti(cid:448)ated to take a(cid:272)tio(cid:374) to (cid:396)edu(cid:272)e thei(cid:396) d(cid:396)i(cid:448)e (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h (cid:449)ill result in drive reduction, motivation lies within organism. Incentive theories- propose that external stimuli regulate motivational states: motivation lies outside the organism, role of environment is very important. Push vs. pull: drive theories-internal states push people to do things. Incentive theories- external stimuli pull people to do things. Body mass index (bmi)- weight (in kilograms) divided by height (in meters) squared. Learned preferences and habits- you grow up eating certain things or see others eating these foods and prefer them over others, a type of classical conditioning and observational learning.