CAS IR 271 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Security Dilemma, Offensive Realism, Rationality

102 views14 pages

Document Summary

Interaction of states (countries) and nonstate actors (terrorist organizations) in the global system i. Influenced from cold war, meaning it is relatively new: multitude of theories, the security dilemma, can lead to escalation of arms race ii. Ir vs politics: states = rules = authority. Foreign policy i: war iii. iv. v. vi. Human rights i. ii. iii: global actors. Non-state actors: ngo"s, terrorists or violent actors, transnational social movements or goals. International relations : the study of relations among states and other political and economic actors in the international system. 1: globalization=amongst state + non state actors ii. Constantly being modified neo theory: also called lens , explanation for correlation or causation, correlation what goes together, causation what creates what? i. Generate hypotheses that can be proven or disproven: facts vs theories, facts can change driven by trends, facts are cheap i. ii.