ES 323 Study Guide - Final Guide: Institutional Racism, Bilingual Education, Cognitive Dissonance

81 views3 pages
26 Jul 2018
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

What are the political and sociological issues he tackles, bilingual education i. Against it - spanish is meant for intimate private life & english should be for public education life: affirmative action i. Rodriguez opens this essay by explaining that he has been the beneficiary of affirmative action: policy arose in the late 1960s, as a result of agitation by nonwhite. Americans to gain more equal access to higher education: he declares that he was wrong to have accepted the label of. For me there is no way to say [ minority student"] with grace. I say it rather with irony sharpened by self-pity. I say it with anger. : he recalls the first time he saw the phrase minority student : in a college literature class, his professor returned a paper rodriguez had written with the comment, Maybe the reason you feel dickens"s sense of alienation so acutely is because you are a minority student i. ii.