BIO 101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Human Microbiota, Snowball Earth, Hydrothermal Vent

86 views12 pages

Document Summary

If it"s peer reviewed & experimentally tested: discuss the seven steps in the process of science, being sure to include/know the following terms, steps: a. i. Process in which independent scientific experts read scientific studies before they are published to ensure that the authors have appropriately designed and interpreted the study: testable c. i. A hypothesis: testable if it can be supported or rejected by carefully designed experiments or observational studies: falsifiable d. i. Describes a hypothesis that can be ruled out by data that show that the hypothesis does not explain the observation: experimental/control groups e. i. Experimental: group in an experiment that experiences the experimental intervention/manipulation e. ii. Control: group in an experiment that experiences no experimental intervention/manipulation. Independent: variable/factor being deliberately changed in the experimental group f. ii. Dependent: measured result of an experiment, analyzed in both the experimental & control groups: placebo/placebo effect g. i. Fake treatment given to control groups to mimic experience of experimental groups: repetition of experiment h. i.