PHIL 1000- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 31 pages long!)

137 views31 pages

Document Summary

Did i live a good life, what is it to be a just individual: thrasymachus" challenge, justice is nothing more than the advantage of the stronger , cynical view. Ideology the set of practices/ideas/values that promote the interest of those in power. Status quo: better to be unjust, thrasymachus" justice : high-minded simplicity . If you could get away with it everyone would be unjust revenge: all justice is, is people forming agreements to strike a balance (laws, contracts, etc) Characters: cephalus: old man, homeowner, whole dialogue in his house, thrasymachus: savage af, adiamantus \, glaucon =, polemarchus // Definition: inferring a cause (god) from the existence of certain effects. Arguments: sets of premises (pn) that necessitate a conclusion (cn) Conclusions can become premises for their own final conclusions (cfinal) Human reality ( i"m not what i am) but (i am what i"m not ) Bad faith is using your freedom to deny your own freedom (1) deny transcendence.