BUS-X 100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Sr Leader Class, Microsoft Powerpoint, Job Enrichment

57 views5 pages
18 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Business Administration Final
Chapter 7
PowerPoint notes
The military has a competitive mindset
Whethe i usiess o i a…the ailit to eat uikl & adapt is itial & it’s eoig
even more so as technology & disruptive forces increase the fast pace of change.
Got to have a passion for what you do. If you do not love what you are doing you will fail.
Got to have a great team.
Good to Great by Jim Collins good is the enemy of great, great companies outperform their
competition by 6.9 times, great companies are counter intuitive
Why Smart Executives Fail  Sydney Finkel they have a blind spot, they exclude any
information that contradicts reality, they shut out unwelcome information
Ultimate value of a leader is to get the most out of people
A supportive corporation culture is the #1 driver for innovation because people feel ok to fail
and learn from their mistakes
Centralized organizations - Authority is concentrated at the top level, typically more control
based
Decentralized organizations - Decision-making authority is delegated as far down the chain of
command as possible, typically more empowerment based, critical for the future.
Span of Management the number of subordinates who report to a particular manager.
Wide span of management - exists when a manager directly supervises a very large number of
employees. Works well when trying to get a boss to let go of controls.
Formal Communication flow of communication within the formal organizational structure as
depicted on organizational charts.
Informal Communication sepaate fo aageet’s foal, offiial ouiatio
channels.
The key to good communication is alignment of the same goals
Class notes
The leader sets the tone for the teamwork in the business
The military always ask, hat do e eed to ipoe ad usiesses should do the sae
The military invented many things to keep our military above the rest of the world
The military is very successful because of their teamwork and communication
They have growth mindsets where they want to get better for the next challenge
Being a talent scout it good for business because you need a good team
The great companies outperform the rest of the market average by 6.9 times, and out of 1400
companies there are onl  opaies, the salaies of these  opa’s eeuties ee i
the bottom 25%
When you fail you get a better education than any of your successes
Narrow organizations are better for the future
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Wide management took away the ability to micro manage
The grapevine is like Facebook, the people inside the platform create the content
Anytime the grapevine has more power than the organization something is wrong
Leadership
PowerPoint notes
Innovation the key to growth in the new global economy.
The United States is attempting to implement tomorrows competitive strategies with
esteda’s aageial ideas & puli poli ifastutue. THIS FAILS
The higher the level of authority the more exclusive it is
The One Thing by Gary Keller focus on one thing at a time, no multitasking
Great by Choice by Jim Collins great leaders have good values, put others first, have long
term goals, not multi-taskers
12% of being a good leader is based on knowledge and vision, 88% is dealing with people
To be a leader you must put organizational interests above self-interests.
Class notes
You learn more from your failures than you do your success
Ceatig a ultue that it is ok to fail is ipotat eause if ou ae’t failig ou ae’t tig
new things
Focusing on your employees is always important to the business
The title leader is earned through actions
Leadership is the mysterious talent
Most leaders are focused on power instead of results
Focus will get the highest results
Chapter 6
PowerPoint notes
4 Responsibilities of CEO’s/Leaders
o Planning Vision, Mission, Scenarios (what ifs) - Where going!
o Organizing - Getting people and resources aligned to carry out plan! (Top to bottom)
o Directing Set priorities, focus, accountability, & responsibility!
o Controlling Moito pogess! Ala Cohe… Trust & Tak!
4 Leadership Styles
o Autocratic (Boss) Makes decisions alone
o Democratic (Boss/Leader) Accepts input from others
o Free Rein/Laissez-Faire (Leader) Broad ojeties… iial supeisio
o Situational (Leader) Select type to match situation
Research - People push theseles hade the the’ll let theseles e pushed  othes.
Communication style holds the key to higher performance.
Aodig to Roet Coope i the Book The othe 9% - research has proven the #1 quality
that differentiates Great from mediocre leaders is caring.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Works well when trying to get a boss to let go of controls: formal communication flow of communication within the formal organizational structure as depicted on organizational charts. Informal communication sepa(cid:396)ate f(cid:396)o(cid:373) (cid:373)a(cid:374)age(cid:373)e(cid:374)t"s fo(cid:396)(cid:373)al, offi(cid:272)ial (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374) channels: the key to good communication is alignment of the same goals. Class notes new things: focusing on your employees is always important to the business, the title leader is earned through actions, most leaders are focused on power instead of results, focus will get the highest results. Powerpoint notes: 3 types of communication styles, directive, manipulative, alignment, simon simek says - (cid:862)leaders eat last putti(cid:374)g othe(cid:396)s fi(cid:396)st is a fundamental of every great. Autocratic leadership style: theory y (opportunity seekers) humanistic view of management. Assumption workers like to work and seek out responsibility to satisfy social, esteem, and self-actualization needs. Job enlargement addition of more tasks to a job instead of treating each task as separate.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers