BIO_SC 3700 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Action Potential, Institute Of Noetic Sciences, Chemical Synapse

25 views9 pages

Document Summary

Statistically, there will be an qual # of positive and negative ions on either side of the membrane. Vx = rt/f * ln ([xout]/[xin]) --- nernst. Say that [na+] inside is 12 and [k+] is 150 inside. When na+ channels are open, a spike results in the action potential (actually creating an action potential) from its base of -70 mv. When it is a flat line/hovering around -70mv, the k+ channels are open. I=delta q/delta t--- current; ions over unit of time. Delta q is proportional to the number of currents. Conductivity: ability to conduct an electric current. When the channels are opened, the motion of the ions are random (collisions, random motion, diffusion. Driving forced: concentration gradient and charge imbalance. I total = i[k+] + i [na+] Cell equilibrium when i total = 0. Depends on concentration of na+ and k+ and conductance of each. Depends on how many channels are open and how many ions flow.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers