LING 1150 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Newspeak, Complementary Distribution, Sibilant

34 views9 pages

Document Summary

From a linguistic perspective, newspeak would most likely be undesirable. Since the language you speak fundamentally affects the way you perceive the world, establishing a uniform language with a limited vocabulary would theoretically take away individuality. Moreover, the goals of newspeak do not seem feasible. Orthographic transcription: you have exactly ten seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect. Orthographic transcription: i don"t believe i have to be loyal to one side or another. Orthographic transcription: sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand seven hundred twenty to one. It"s better to use the ipa transcriptions than english orthography because unlike english, the. Ipa is based on the different sounds humans make based off of their vocal tracts. For example, the letter e" in english can be transcribed as [i] like in [bi], pronounced be, or as [ ] like in.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers