POSC 20403 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Fourteenth Amendment To The United States Constitution, Excessive Bail Clause, Substantive Law

58 views6 pages
25 Oct 2017
School
Professor

Document Summary

#1: you are a judge who presides over preliminary hearings in criminal cases and must set bail for people who have been arrested. Explain what bail you would set for a 24-year-old, unemployed woman whose primary income comes from public assistance and who lives in public housing with her three children, ages 18-months, 4, and 6. She is charged with shop-lifting children"s clothes at walmart, merchandise that was selling for a total of . 93. She regularly shops at walmart and was allegedly recognized in the act of surveillance cameras and arrested when in the store on a subsequent occasion. She pleaded not guilty and requested appointed counsel. Because this woman is unemployed, living in public housing with her three young children, where her only income comes from public assistance, i believe setting a high bail would be unreasonable. If i were going to set a bail, i would set it at .