BIO 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Electrochemical Gradient, Citric Acid Cycle, Thylakoid

91 views4 pages

Document Summary

The electron transport system: capture energy from oxidation of nadh and fadh2 to transfer h+ across inner mitochondrial membrane. Electron transport is a function of reduction potential, desire to be reduced, gain electrons, Energetic of electron transport: electrons transferred from compounds with lower reduction potential to compound with higher reduction potential potential than complex i, so it produces slightly less energy than nadh. Energy of electron transfer is coupled to h+ transport across inner mitochondrial membrane (complexes i, iii, and iv) (pump proton) Mitochondria: diffusion of proton into matrix across inner mitochondrial membrane. Chloroplast: diffusion of proton into lumen across thylakoid membranes, exergonic. O2 must be available in the ets, o2 has the highest reduction potential. Fadh2 can"t transfer its electrons to complex i because fadh2 has higher reduction. Low [h+] in matrix, high [h+] in intermembrane space. Require protein complexes f0 and f1 to work together. F1: atp synthase (oxidative phosphorylation), not anchor as tightly as f0.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers