JOUR 200 Study Guide - Final Guide: Walter Winchell, Walter Lippmann, World Journal

77 views10 pages

Document Summary

The elements of journalism (cid:907) the purpose of jour(cid:290)alis(cid:289) is to pro(cid:362)ide people (cid:363)ith the i(cid:290)for(cid:289)atio(cid:290) they (cid:290)eed to be free and self-go(cid:362)er(cid:290)i(cid:290)g. (cid:908) to achie(cid:362)e that: Jour(cid:290)alis(cid:289)"s first obligatio(cid:290) is to the truth: its first loyalty is to citizens, its essence is a discipline of verification, its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover. It must serve as a monitor of power: it must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise. Appeared in hundreds of newspaper, personal brands. Gossip: did business (gathering tips, observations) from the stork club in manhattan where celebrities went. Achieved celebrity status: appeared in 2,000 newspapers. Career built on the idea that the private lives of public figures was what the public wanted to know about. Wrote for the new york journal-american (hearst) and new york world journal. Walter lippmann, public opinion, and stereotype (cid:907)public i(cid:290)tellectual(cid:908) Sought to put events of the day into historical and global perspective.