EARTHSS 21 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Pancake Ice, Thermohaline Circulation, Ice Crystals

123 views24 pages

Document Summary

Things from lectures 1 9 i expect you to know/understand: Study guide for ess 21 midterm 2 2017. Be able to identify, draw, and explain positive and negative feedbacks using the notation we used in class. Be able to use the stefan-boltzmann law and wien"s law to explain how blackbody radiation changes with temperature. I = t^4, (i = radiation in watts/m^2, = stefan-boltzman constant, t = temperature (kelvin)) Total energy = constant x t^4 (area under curve) Max = 2898/t, ( max = wavelength of maximum emissions (micrometers), t = temperature (kelvin)) Wavelength of maximum emission = constant / t. How earth"s orbit and tilt explain why seasons occur. Revolution, rotation, and tilt of the mechanics of earth"s orbit around the sun. Revolution: only very small influence on seasonal heating. Rotation: earth spins completely once per day around its axis reason why we have day and night. Tilt (23. 5 ): earth tilt is the main cause of the seasons.