BILD 3 Study Guide - Final Guide: Soil Structure, Ecolo, Habitat Ii

111 views4 pages
28 Jun 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Do biotic factors (other species) limit its distribution? a. ii. 1. Water, oxygen, salinity, ph, soil nutrients, etc. a. iii. 2. Temperature, light, soil structure, fire, moisture, etc: define population density and methods used to estimate it, population density is the number of individuals per unit area, methods b. i. Count samples using standardized census methods (plots, transects) and extrapolate b. ii. Count a proxy: nests, feeding damage, tracks b. iii. Then divide the 1st sample count by the fraction calculated before: sketch each of the three major dispersion patterns and identify the distribution of a population based on their dispersion pattern. Identify the factors that most commonly give rise to each type of dispersion: random dispersion is the position of each individuals being independent of others a. i. They cannot control the spreading of their seeds: clumped dispersion occurs when individuals aggregate in patches b. i. Influenced by resource availability or social interactions b. ii. Useful for self-defense against predators: uniform dispersion occurs when individuals are evenly distributed c. i.