CPO 2001 Midterm: Midterm I Q&A

157 views2 pages

Document Summary

If you lose control of the fringes that means you can no longer control your borders. Government only controls few urban centers and capital in weak state. Failed state doesn"t even control that much. Is a regime just the informal and formal institutions: kind of political system i. e; democracy, autocracy, theocracy, in between state (territorial con guration) and government (changes within same regime, bush, obama, etc. ) Strongly institutionalized legitimacy: traditional legitimacy has been around forever, so embedded in society its dif cult to change, usually changes to legal-rational which requires institutions, institutionalized doesn"t mean as durable, religious legitimacy is mostly traditional, sometimes charismatic. Can you hold different types of legitimacy at the same time: you can move from traditional to legal-rational (monarchy became constitutional monarchy in uk) Why aren"t amish people or orthodox jews fundamentalist: fundamentalist: want to see laws of the state replaced by religious tenets, state needs to impose religious tenets on everybody vs only for myself.