CHEM 102 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Helium Dimer, Ideal Gas Law, Solubility

64 views3 pages

Document Summary

Thursday (10. 1-10. 2, 10. 8(vapor pressure): states of matter, at the same temperature i. ii. Strength increases with molar mass i: weakest imf iii. Nonpolar covalent: dipole dipole (permanent dipole dipole attractions) i. ii. Polar covalent: hydrogen bonding (special type of dipole dipole) i. Only occurs with n, o, or f: electrostatic forces (attraction of ions, much stronger than covalent forces ii. Ionic: physical properties, phase change = enough energy of molecules to break intermolecular forces holding molecules together, directly related to strength of im forces i. Boiing point: melting point iii. iv. v. Inversely related to strength of im forces c. i. Vapor pressure: amount of gas in equilibrium: higher vp = more gas in equilibrium = easier for gas to vaporize = weak imf. Tuesday: formula calculations (3. 6-3. 7: percent composition, empirical formula, molecular formula (mm empirical )n a. Thursday (3. 8-3. 11: chemical reactions, stoich: mole and mass relations, limiting reactants.