POLI 227 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Sub-Saharan Africa, Professional Soldier, Sam Huntington

118 views8 pages

Document Summary

As democracy advanced in ldcs military gov"ts have become comparatively rare. There are still many gov"ts where the armed forces are the final power behind the scenes (i. e. burma and pakistan) Political systems in ldcs distinguished by their high degree of military interference. Through direct rule or as a dominant interest group. Often reject any dividing line between military and political activity. Up until the 1980s military restraint was the exception rather than the rule. Until recently military involvement was a defining characteristic of political underdevelopment. Out of 59 ldcs -> 274 attempted coups between 1946-70. Most countries in south america governed by the armed forces (i. e. argentina, brazil, Dominated politics in much of africa (i. e. algeria, ghana, nigeria, sudan) In an avg. year 65% of african population was governed by military rulers. 1958-1984 -> more than 62 successful and 60 failed coups. 1956-2001 -> 80 coups and 108 failed coup attempts in 41/48 countries.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers