PSYC 2450 Chapter Notes - Chapter 9: Ulric Neisser, Childhood Amnesia, Autobiographical Memory

62 views4 pages

Document Summary

Development of memory involves processes by which we store and retrieve information. Two general kinds of memory: event memory = long-term memory for events. Includes autobiographical memories which are memories of events that happened to you. This rarely requires use of any remembering strategies. i. e. what you ate for breakfast this morning: strategic memory = processes involved as one consciously attempts to retain or retrieve information. i. e. attempting to remember a phone number. Mnemonics refers to the effortful techniques we use to improve memory. Event memory & autobiographical memories specifically are almost always expressed through language, therefore are closely tied to language skills. Deferred imitation refers to remembering after a significant delay, representing the first evidence of event memory i. e. infants and toddlers can recall events that happened months ago. Before 18 to 24 months of age children are not able to encode the idea that.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers