DRAM 2100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 10: Lassi, Ad Hominem, Argument From Analogy

65 views3 pages

Document Summary

Argument: implicitly or explicitly presents a claim and provides support for that claim with reasoning and evidence. Reasoning: thought process of drawing conclusion from evidence. Evidence: consists of statistics, testimony of experts and credible sources, and verifiable facts. The first part of developing a good argument is understanding how reasoning and evidence mesh logically. Basic structure of an argument in formal logic. Contains three parts: major premise, minor premise, conclusion. The (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of te(cid:396)(cid:373)s used twi(cid:272)e i(cid:374) a syllogis(cid:373) (cid:373)ust (cid:271)e ide(cid:374)ti(cid:272)al (cid:894)no(cid:271)ody"s pe(cid:396)fe(cid:272)t, i"(cid:373) (cid:374)o(cid:271)ody, i"(cid:373) pe(cid:396)fe(cid:272)t doe not make en e(cid:895) Major premise: all who kill another human deliberately and with malice aforethought are guilty of first degree murder, minor premise: tom killed jone deliberately with malice aforethought, conclusion: tom is guilt of first degree murder. Six elements of argument for informal logic: claim that which is asserted and requires support, grounds (reasons/evidence) reasons to accept a claim and the evidence used to support those reasons.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers