BI110 Chapter Notes - Chapter 30: Thylakoid, Photosystem I, Light-Harvesting Complex

15 views6 pages
23 Jan 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Module 30 photosynthesis ii: energy and sugars. A photosystem contains hundreds of pigment-protein complexes and is organized into two parts: a light-harvesting antenna and a reaction-center complex. Eukaryotes and cyanobacteria contain two photosystems: photosystem i (ps i) and photosystem ii (ps ii). The center of each photosystem contains a pair of chlorophyll a molecules embedded in a unique molecular structure. Chlorophyll a molecules are similar in two photosystems; however, surrounding structure affects electron distribution and results in slight difference in wavelength of maximally efficient absorption. This requires another chemical process involving charged particles (h+ protons). Separation of electrostatic charges allow cell to transfer energy, which is temporarily stored in the form of a proton gradient and then transferred to mechanical energy in. Atp synthase, then to chemical energy in atp called photophosphorylation. The thylakoid membrane, which contains photosynthetic pigments and reaction centers, surrounds a pocket called the thylakoid lumen. Area outside of thylakoid membrane is called the stroma.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers