CAS PS 101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Circadian Rhythm, Pineal Gland, Epigenetic Clock

119 views12 pages
qq919649100 and 40051 others unlocked
CAS PS 101 Full Course Notes
CAS PS 101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
93 documents

Document Summary

Consciousne ss: moment-to-moment awareness of ourselves and environment. Self-report measures: asking people to describe their inner experience, offering most direct i(cid:374)sight i(cid:374)to a perso(cid:374)"s su(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e e(cid:454)perie(cid:374)(cid:272)e, but not verifiable not honest due to social desirability or especially during sleep, ex: questionnaire, interviews. Behavioral measures: observation of behaviors in a subject, are objective, but (cid:373)ust dedu(cid:272)e perso(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)(cid:374)er (cid:373)i(cid:374)d, ex: record performance on special tasks. Physiological measures: collecting measurement of bodily responses (heart rate, breathing rate, correspondence between mental state and bodily processes, but (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t tell the inner working of the mind, ex: electroencephalograph (eeg) measures brain-wave pattern. Much occurs within the brain is beyond the conscious sense (process that lulls. Consciousne you to sleep, awakens you, regulate body temp. ss. Every 24 hour day-night, our body undergo rhythmic change that affect our alertness back and forth between waking up and sleep. Keeping time: brain and environment: suprachiasmatic nuclei (scn): Located in hypothalamus: regulates circadian rhythm, melatonin:

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers