PHIL 231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Paternalism, The Strongest, Reprobation

134 views4 pages

Document Summary

I. mill"s various tate(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts of the har(cid:373) pri(cid:374)(cid:272)iple. Society is not founded on a contract, a(cid:374)d (cid:449)e do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e to i(cid:374)(cid:448)e(cid:374)t a (cid:272)o(cid:374)tra(cid:272)t i(cid:374) order to deduce social obligations from it, everyone who receives protection from society owes a return- specifically to be good to others. Yes, education and stuff you learn when growing up is important, but once you reach that level of maturity, you should be free to do as you think, and ppl should encourage that. Ppl can still give him advice, etc but he is final judge. But if his actions do affect us then we must inflict pain on him for the purpose of punishment. Social coercion is justified only when necessary to prevent harm to others (the first chapter version). Social coercion is justified only when one is injuring interests where rights are involved. (p. 73) Actions wanting in due consideration for the welfare of others call for.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers