NURSE-UN 1242 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Cervical Effacement, Umbilical Cord, Fetal Position

135 views13 pages

Document Summary

A woman in her 40th week of pregnancy calls the nurse at the clinic and says she"s not sure whether she is in true or false labor. My contractions are about 6 minutes apart and regular. The contractions slow down when i walk around. If i try to talk to my partner during a contraction, i can"t. False labor is characterized by contractions that are irregular and weak, often slowing down with walking or a position change. True labor contractions begin in the back and radiate around toward the front of the abdomen. They are regular and become stronger over time; the woman may find it extremely difficult if not impossible to have a conversation during a contraction. Placental separation is indicated by the uterus changing shape to globular and upward rising of the uterus. Additional signs include a sudden trickle of blood from the vaginal opening, and lengthening (not shortening) of the umbilical cord.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers