CHEM 35 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Hydride, Formaldehyde, Alcohol

94 views5 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

6. 7, 16. 12, 16. 13: raction of alkyl halides: synthesis fo alkanes, alkyl halides allow formation of c-h and c-c bonds, organometallic reagents b. i. Central to use of alkyl and other halides and their easy conversion to organometallic reagents b. iii. Result = grignard reagent = organolithium reagent: formation of gringard reagent c. i. Free radicals = neutral species with single nonbonding electron c. iii. Most halides (except f) can be made into grignard reagents: formation of alkane d. i. Basic organometallic reagent protonated by water or alcohol: treatment of organometallic reagent with d2o gives deuteriolabeled molecules, organometallic reagents a. Usually involve creation of c-c bonds: organometallic reagents are strong bases, not strong nucleophiles, some organometallic reagents that can displace halides c. i. Organocuprates react with primary/secondary alkyl halides to make hydrocarbon c. ii. Metal hydrides can react with water to form strong nucleophile to displace halide and make hydrocarbon. Alcohols form when water added in 2nd step g. iii.