HIS 210 Chapter Notes - Chapter 30: Liaodong Peninsula, Hague Conventions Of 1899 And 1907, Fokker E.Ii

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 31: fight between preserving traditions of monarchical power and modernizing economy. Impossible contradiction a: alex iii tried to institute counterreforms (rejection of further reform and limit effectiveness of current reforms) b. i) used every opportunity to help the gentry b. ii) Unable to remove his traditionalist views from his rule. Didn"t have any of the qualities his father had that people had admired (modesty, faith, devotion, patriotism, etc) (a. ii. 3) Believed that unrestricted power of the tsar was the only way to make. Loved order and discipline, used the military was a model. Could have been a good ruler, but got lost in the chaos of his country b) c) Issues between the zemstvo and government b. i) limits on taxation b. ii) b. iii) government often refused to confirm elections of zemstvo board members. Intolerance for difference c. i) religious persecution grew c. ii)sectarians (people who didn"t believe in the government and refused to take part in the military) suffered the most (c. ii. 1)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers