COM 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Subjective Constancy, Headache, Symbolic Interactionism

74 views4 pages
15 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Three distinct activities happen in perception (b. ii. 1) (b. ii. 2) (b. ii. 3) Occur quickly and almost simultaneously: why do differences in perception occur? a. i) perception is subjective, active, and creative, physiological factors b. i) past experiences and roles (b. i. 1) Perceptual constancy is the idea that your past experiences lead you to see the world in a way that is difficult to change. Ex: a headache, fatigue, pulled muscle, etc can cause you to perceive a critical comment when a friendly one is being offered. Past experiences lead you to see the world in a way that is difficult to change. (b. iv. 1. a) Ex: a girl being perceived as dumb or lacking common sense because she is blonde. b. v) A role is the part you play in various social contexts (b. v. 1. a) Roles tend to change as in your parents" home you are a son/daughter, in your own home you are a roommate/mother/father, etc: what occurs in perception a. i) three distinct activities happen in perception (a. i. 1)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers