ENGLISH 325 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7: Maggie Nelson

35 views2 pages
Mikaela Bradley
English 325
Dr. Conway
5/29/18
Reading Response
I do’t ko ho I feel aout Bluets. Maggie Nelson used a braided technique to share
many facets of her life, all relating to the color blue. I did not know the color blue could be so
ifluetial oer soeoe’s life. Blue is y faorite olor, ut I hae eer osidered it i suh
deep and meaningful connotations. In my opinion, there were four or five main themes that
Nelson kept returning to. The story about her friend, the quadriplegic, who was in the hospital
after suffering a terrible accident. Her qualms about religion, whether that be Christianity or
related to mythology. Her struggle for love and her sexual experiences, telling about her
desires. Aalyzig Goethe’s ords ad hat they ea to her. Stories of her depression and
feelings. Despite knowing that some of these ideas were likely metaphors, I was not able to
make these connections to the real world in my mind. I did like how she broke up each thought
and idea, using numbers to label each instance. She is able to tell a story about the color blue
without blatantly spelling out the characteristics of blue colored things, rather detailing more
deeply the affect seeing this color played in her life. I think her use of fragmented and braided
storylines allows for the reader to gain more insights and see the events trough a different way,
rather than if she told each story individually. I think she uses some of her experience and
references to criticize society, somewhat of its portrayal of women. Her 240 essays, which read
more like short poems in my opinion, were full of emotional heartbreak and yearning. I think
she uses the color blue as a medium to express other feelings and to reveal truths about the
world. I do not know why it is so hard for me to think about what some of these scenes mean or
how they reflect, if they ever are a metaphor, onto real life. What is she trying to say beyond
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

I do(cid:374)"t k(cid:374)o(cid:449) ho(cid:449) i feel a(cid:271)out bluets. Maggie nelson used a braided technique to share many facets of her life, all relating to the color blue. I did not know the color blue could be so i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)tial o(cid:448)er so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e"s life. Blue is (cid:373)y fa(cid:448)orite (cid:272)olor, (cid:271)ut i ha(cid:448)e (cid:374)e(cid:448)er (cid:272)o(cid:374)sidered it i(cid:374) su(cid:272)h deep and meaningful connotations. In my opinion, there were four or five main themes that. The story about her friend, the quadriplegic, who was in the hospital after suffering a terrible accident. Her qualms about religion, whether that be christianity or related to mythology. Her struggle for love and her sexual experiences, telling about her desires. A(cid:374)alyzi(cid:374)g goethe"s (cid:449)ords a(cid:374)d (cid:449)hat they (cid:373)ea(cid:374) to her. Despite knowing that some of these ideas were likely metaphors, i was not able to make these connections to the real world in my mind.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers