SCMA 323 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Consumer Reports, Larceny, Burglary

25 views5 pages

Document Summary

Penal code: collection of criminal statutes. Regulatory statutes: statutes such as environmental laws, securities law, and antitrust laws that provide for criminal violations and penalties. States have adopted comprehensive penal codes: define activities considered to be crimes, penalties imposed for their commission. Incapacitate the criminal and provide rehabilitation: deter others from similar conduct. You do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to go to jail. B(cid:455) thro(cid:449)i(cid:374)g (cid:455)ou i(cid:374) jail (cid:449)e"re prote(cid:272)ti(cid:374)g (cid:455)ou fro(cid:373) the (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373)"s fa(cid:373)il(cid:455) to hurting you. Parties to a criminal action: plaintiff: the government, defendant: accused, the government is represented by a prosecutor, the accused is represented by a defense attorney, public defender: government defense attorney. Intent crimes: criminal act (actus reus, criminal intent (mens rea) Merely thinking about a crime is not a crime, because no action has been taken. Imposes criminal liability without a finding of intent. Imposed for reckless or grossly negligent conduct that causes injury to another person.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers