HIST 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Christianity In The 17Th Century, Pope Gregory I, Reccared I

25 views3 pages
26 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Post-roman europe and the rise of islamic civilizations. Gaul: modern france and parts of germany. Wife, clotilda is a princess from another kingdom: she is christian. Source: gregory of tours, history of the franks, late 6th century. King reccared converts to nicene christianity at third council of toledo in 589 ce. Justinian and theodora (527-565) from their mosaics in ravenna, italy. Wanted to reclaim what the roman empire was. Riots after chariot races cause significant destruction o. Empress theodora talked justinian to stay and fix things. Justi(cid:374)ia(cid:374)(cid:859)s tries to (cid:272)reate religious unity and orthodoxy. Purged pagans from high posts such as the capital, conducted trials, some cases death. Clsoes the neo-platonic academy in athens in 529. First bishop to become pope in rome in 590. Bishop of rome was the legacy of peter. Gregory i sends augustine of canterbury to kent in 597. King ethelbert converts augustine and his fellow monks. Gregory i encourages missionary to assimilate pagan practices.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers