false
Michigan state

Michigan State University offers one of the largest on-campus housing organizations in the country. Its accommodations include twenty-five undergraduate dormitories across five student neighborhoods, each with its own history, design, and amenities. Many residence halls include gyms, sports centers, activity centers, restaurants, classrooms, laboratories, and libraries. All freshman and sophomore students (with 0-55 credits) are required to live on campus unless they meet one of the exemption criteria; for more details about rules and exemptions.

1) Brody Neighborhood

The Brody Neighborhood is located on the west side of campus just north of the Red Cedar River. Brody is comprised of six residence halls that surround Brody Hall, where many of the neighborhood’s common services, including Brody Square dining hall, are located. It also houses the Brody Neighborhood Engagement Center which houses academic, health and wellness, intercultural and residential services.

All residence halls in the Brody Neighborhood feature community-style bathrooms and all halls are co-ed by wing. The halls also feature the largest student rooms on campus and parking just outside of the buildings. Brody is located close to the Spartan athletic facilities and the Breslin Student Events Center. Fitness centers are located in Armstrong, Bailey, Bryan, Butterfield and Rather halls. 

A) Armstrong Hall

Armstrong Hall is part of Brody Neighborhood. Armstrong Hall opened its 1956. It was named for W.G. Armstrong who was a farmer and very proud graduate of Michigan Agriculture College (former name of MSU). After graduation, Armstrong continued his involvement with the school and served on the Board of Trustees. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

B) Bailey Hall

Bailey Hall is part of Brody Neighborhood. Bailey Hall was opened in 1956-57 school year and is named after Liberty Hyde Bailey who was a professor of horticulture. Bailey was responsible for the first horticulture laboratory building in the nation. Bailey Hall is home to the Residential Initiative for the Study of the Environment (RISE) living-learning community and the Bailey GREENhouse. The RISE program is for MSU students interested in stewardship of the environment. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

B) Bryan Hall

Bryan Hall is part of Brody Neighborhood. Bryan Hall was opened in 1954. It started off being an all male residence hall and was named after Claude Bryan who was the Dean of Veterinary Medicine. Bryan helped to create the Veterinary Medical Center on campus. In Bryan Hall, an Honors College living-learning option is offered. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

C) Butterfield Hall

Butterfield Hall is part of Brody Neighborhood. Opened in 1953, Butterfield Hall is named for Kenyon Butterfield, a MSU graduate who also served as President of the university between 1924 and 1928. During his tenure, Butterfield fostered an expansion of the MAU extension program. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

D) Emmons Hall

Emmons Hall is part of the Brody Neighborhood. It was opened in 1956 and named for Lloyd C. Emmons, the Dean of the School of Science and Arts and Calculus professor who was an advocate for teacher preparation. Emmons hall has been recently renovated. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

E) Rather Hall

Rather Hall is part of Brody Neighborhood. The hall is named for Howard C. Rather, a MSU alumnus who eventually returned to the university as a professor of farm crops and dean of basic college. Rather Hall boasted the most modern conveniences for its residents in the country when it opened. The hall is home to the Charles Drew Science Environment Laboratory program’s living-learning community, which provides academic and social support for high achieving students pursuing science and math degrees, including individuals interested in professional health and science careers (medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, research, pharmacology, optometry, physical therapy and public health). 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

2) North Neighborhood

North Neighborhood combines what were formerly known as Red Cedar and West Circle. It includes Mason/Abbot and Snyder/Phillips halls, just north of the Red Cedar River and Campbell, Gilchrist, Landon, Mayo, Williams and Yakeley halls situated along Michigan and Grand River Avenues on what was MSU’s original campus.

North Neighborhood halls are the oldest residence halls on campus and feature traditional collegiate-style architecture. Fitness centers are located in Snyder and Yakeley halls, and the North Neighborhood Engagement Center is located in the MSU Union on the 2nd floor.

The Residential College in the Arts and Humanities is located in the North Neighborhood as well, occupying Snyder and Phillips Halls.

A) Abbot Hall

Abbot Hall is located near Grand River Avenue in the North Neighborhood. Abbot Hall is a traditional, ivy-covered, collegiate Gothic-style building with beautiful wood ornamentation and decorative plaster details. It was built in 1939 and was named for Theophilus Abbot, president of MSU from 1862-1884. This hall boasted the first college-operated dining room. Abbot Hall features Honors College living-learning options.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

B) Campbell Hall

Campbell Hall is part of the North Neighborhood. Campbell Hall opened in 1939 and is named for Louise Campbell, who led MSU Home Economic Outreach in the 1920s and began the practice of teaching and training for rural women. She also started the Farm Women’s Week, a precursor to the College Week for Women. A music living-learning option is available in Campbell Hall.  

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

 

C) Gilchrist Hall

Gilchrist Hall is part of North Neighborhood. Built in 1948, the hall is named for Maude Gilchrist. He was a graduate of Michigan Agricultural College (former name of MSU) and was the dean of the Women’s Department. Under her leadership, music, art and literature were equally important to domestic science. In Gilchrist Hall, both Music and Honors College living-learning options are offered.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

D) Landon Hall

Landon Hall is located in the North Neighborhood. Landon Hall was built in 1947 and is the first post-World War II hall built on campus. The hall is named for Linda Landon, who was the first female instructor at MSU. A music living-learning option is offered to students in Landon Hall. Landon Hall was recently renovated adding a new dining facility, Heritage Commons. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

E) Mason Hall

Mason Hall is located in the North Neighborhood. Mason Hall is a traditional, ivy-covered, collegiate Gothic-style building with beautiful wood ornamentation and decorative plaster details. Named for Stephens T. Mason, the first governor of Michigan, Mason Hall was the newest men’s hall in 30 years when it opened in 1938. Mason Hall has an Honors College living-learning option.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

F) Mayo Hall

Mayo Hall is located in the North Neighborhood. Built in 1931, Mayo is MSU’s oldest residence hall. Originally called “Sylvan Lodge,” it was in a small park, the remains of which can be seen in a group of trees east of the building. The name was deemed inappropriate and the hall was renamed for Mary Mayo, who started women’s courses at MSU. Mayo Hall offers a music living-learning option.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

F) Phillips Hall

Phillips Hall is part of the North Neighborhood (1947). It was  named for T. Glenn Phillips, MSU class of 1902, who developed the master plan for the growth of the campus in the 1930s and 1940s. Phillips Hall offers living-learning options for the Honors College and Residential College in the Arts and Humanities (RCAH). A theater for performing arts, art studio, music practice rooms, a language and media center and an art gallery are located in Phillips Hall.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

F) Snyder Hall

Snyder Hall is part of the North Neighborhood. It is located near Grand River Avenue. The hall was built in 1947 and is named after former MSU President Jonathan L. Snyder (1896-1914). Snyder Hall offers living-learning options for the Honors College and Residential College in the Arts and Humanities (RCAH). A fitness center, theater for performing arts, art studio, music practice rooms, a language and media center and an art gallery are located in Snyder Hall.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

G) Williams Hall

Williams Hall is part of North Neighborhood. After the original hall burnt down in a fire, the current Williams Hall was constructed in 1937. The hall is named for Sarah Williams, who was the wife of MSU’s first president (the first Williams Hall was named for him).  She also served as a nurse in the Civil War. 

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

H) Yakeley Hall

Yakeley Hall is part of North Neighborhood. It was built in 1948 and was named after Elida Yakeley, who was the secretary to President Snyder from 1903 to 1908. Elida Yakeley became the first registrar, a position she held for 30 years. In Yakeley Hall, both music and Honors College living-learning options are offered.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

3) East Neighborhood

East Neighborhood is located on the northeast side of campus near the intersection of Hagadorn and Shaw Roads. It is located near IM East, the Wharton Center for Performing Arts and the Business College Complex. East Neighborhood is comprised of three residence halls, each of which features a unique dining hall. All residence halls in the East Neighborhood have suite-style bathrooms.

Hubbard Hall features the Sparty’s Cafe, which offers convenience items as well as hot and cold made-to-order coffee and beverages, and even cooked-to-order items. Fitness centers are located in Akers, Holmes and Hubbard halls, and the East Neighborhood Engagement Center is located in Hubbard Hall. The closest dining hall is the Edge at Akers.

A) Akers Hall

Akers Hall is located in East Neighborhood and was built in 1964. It is named after Forest H. Akers, an MSU student from the early 1900s. Residents in Akers enjoy a unique housing style that features two-bedroom suites with a separate living/study area and a bathroom shared only by suite occupants.

FLOOR PLAN

Quad Room

B) Holmes Hall

Holmes Hall is part of East Neighborhood and is the largest residence hall on campus. The hall opened in 1965 and is named for John C. Holmes, a Detroit horticulturalist. He was instrumental in the creation of a separate college of agriculture in Michigan. Holmes Hall is home to the classrooms, laboratories and faculty/administrative offices of Lyman Briggs College. The hall also offers a living-learning option for Lyman Briggs and Honors College students.

FLOOR PLAN

Double Room

C) Hubbard Hall

Hubbard Hall is part of East Neighborhood. It was built in 1966 and named after Bela Hubbard, a Detroit farmer and geologist whose proposal for an agricultural college led to the creation of MSU. Hubbard Hall is the tallest building in the East Lansing area.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

4) East Neighborhood

River Trail Neighborhood is located along the south bank of the Red Cedar River on Shaw Lane. The River Trail Neighborhood includes McDonel Hall, Shaw Hall, Owen Graduate Hall and Van Hoosen Apartments.

The River Trail Engagement Center is located in McDonel Hall. Here you will find the engagement center staff, student health clinic, math and other course tutoring, writing assistance, academic advisors, a computer lab with  printing services, individual and group study spaces,  the Residential Business Program, MRULE and much more! River Trail is located near the Business College Complex, the MSU College of Law, the College of Veterinary Medicine, IM East and the Wharton Center for Performing Arts. The fitness center for River Trail is located in Shaw Hall and exercise classes are held in McDonel Hall.

A) McDonel Hall

McDonel Hall is located in the River Trail Neighborhood. It was opened in 1963 and named for Irma and Karl McDonel. Karl was secretary to the State Board of Agriculture (now the MSU Board of Trustees). McDonel Hall provides optimal housing for returning students, transfer students and those wanting a quiet, more mature atmosphere. It is also home of the living-learning community for the Residential Business Program.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

B) Owen Hall

Owen Hall was built in 1960 and is part of the River Trail Neighborhood. The hall is ideal for graduate and professional students and undergraduate upperclassmen who desire a living environment conducive to study, along with the privacy of a single room. Owen Hall is named after Floyd Owen (class of 1902), who provided part of the funding to build the hall. It was the first co-ed hall with male and female students living in their respective wings.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

C) Shaw Hall

Shaw Hall is part of the River Trail Neighborhood and is conveniently located in the center of campus,  across the street from the CATA Station. Shaw Hall was built in 1950 and is named for Robert Sidney Shaw, MSU’s 11th president who led the University through the Great Depression. Shaw Hall houses The Vista at Shaw, a newly renovated residential dining facility.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Double Room

D) Van Hoosen Hall

Van Hoosen Hall is located in the River Trail Neighborhood. The apartment-style residence hall was built in 1957 and named for Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen, a fifth generation farmer and a leading genetic researcher who donated land to MSU. Van Hoosen Hall provides apartment living for women only, who are sophomores or above, with a minimum GPA of 2.2. In addition to the apartments, Van Hoosen Hall also has a community building that is used for social events and houses resident laundry facilities.

FLOOR PLAN

Quad Room

5) South Neighborhood

South Neighborhood is located southwest of Spartan Stadium between West Shaw Lane and Trowbridge Road. It is near the Breslin Center, Munn Ice Arena, IM Sports West, and outdoor tennis facilities. The South Neighborhood is made up of four residence halls, Case, Wonders, Holden and Wilson Halls, which all feature coed floors and suite-style rooms.

South Neighborhood Engagement Center is located in Holden Hall, the student health clinic, math and other course tutoring, writing assistance, academic advisors, a computer lab with printing services, individual and group study spaces, MRULE and much more. Holden Hall also houses a state of the art fitness studio and a cardio room is available in Wilson and Holden Halls which is also which is free for residents. 

The South Neighborhood also contains James Madison College in Case Hall and the Engineering Residential Program in Wilson Hall.

A) Case Hall

Case Hall is located in the South Neighborhood. Built in 1961, it was named for Albert and Sarah Case. Sarah was an MSU instructor and Albert was the 1901 State Agricultural College football captain, earning his bacherlor’s degree in 1902. He made contributions to MSU upon graduation. Case Hall is home to the James Madison College and the Honors College living-learning experience.

FLOOR PLAN

Shared Washroom

Double Room

B) Holden Hall

Holden Hall is located in South Neighborhood. The hall opened in 1967 and is named for James and Lynelle Holden. James became a State Agricultural student in 1889. Holden Hall houses the Academic Scholars Program, the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), the High School Equivalency Program (HEP), and the Second Year Experience Program.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Shared Washroom

Double Room

C) Wilson Hall

Wilson Hall is part of the South Neighborhood. It was built in 1962 and named for Alfred and Mathilda Wilson. Mathilda served on the State Board of Agriculture (now known as the MSU Board of Trustees). Wilson Hall houses the Engineering Core Experience First Year Program.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Shared Washroom

Double Room

D) Wonder Hall

Wonders Hall is located in South Neighborhood. Wonders Hall was opened in 1963 and is named for MSU benefactors Wallace and Grace Wonders.  Wallace received his Bachelor of Science degree from MSU in 1902. Wonders Hall is home to the Army ROTC program.

FLOOR PLAN

Single Room

Shared Washroom

Double Room


7062109746ba2255fc88739f48588002?s=96&d=wp user avatar&r=g

OneClass Blog Admin


Home