PHTY300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Autonomic Dysreflexia, Brainstem, Nasogastric Intubation

72 views5 pages
26 Jul 2018
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Damage can prevent transmission of all or just some of. Age: mostly young, 15-34 years, recently increasing above. Approximately 300 new cases of traumatic spinal cord injury (sci) in australia each year. 55 years and 4:1 male female ration neural messages across the site of the lesion. Can result from trauma, disease, infection or congenital defects. Severity of bony injury will not dictate severity of sci. Knowing the anatomy of the spinal cord provides greater understanding of the extent of the cord damage and allows you to match this with investigations. Loss of spinal cord mediated reflexes results in flaccid paralysis. I(cid:374)jur(cid:455) at the (cid:272)o(cid:374)us (cid:272)a(cid:374) i(cid:374)volve (cid:271)oth umn & lmn(cid:859)s a(cid:374)d results i(cid:374) a (cid:858)(cid:373)i(cid:454)ed lesio(cid:374)(cid:859). Type of motor neuron lesion has implications for spasticity and bladder, bowel and sexual function. Common c5 followed by c4, c6 and t12 most mobile parts of the vertebral column pathogenic events including oedema, inflammation and changes to the blood-spinal cord barrier.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers