PSYC1005 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Social Identity Theory, Deep Learning, Henri Tajfel

63 views2 pages
5 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
PSYC 1005: Social Identity and Academic Outcomes (Week 5):
Self and Education
Self and learning intertwined (self often understood as the outcome of learning)
Self has a role in explaining behaviours, shaping attitudes and guiding learning
Social Identity Approach (Psychological Analysis)
Social Identity Theory (Tajfel & Turner 1986)
Self-Categorisation Theory (Turner, Hoggs, Oakes, Reicher & Wetherell 1987)
o At least three levels of abstraction of self-categorisation:
Subordinate level of personal self-categorisations
Super-ordinate level of self as a human being
Intermediate level of ingroup-outgroup categorisations
Personal self-categorisations have no privileged status in defining self
“oial idetifiatio as a studet o ith oe’s disiplie is positively related to deep
approaches to learning
Social identification with groups that do not have deep learning norms will not lead
to the adoption of a deep learning approach for oneself
o O sufae appoah to leaig e.g. I see o poit i leaning material
hih is ot likel to e i the eaiatio is egatiel assoiated ith
disciplinary social identification and actual grades
Deep approaches to learning positively predict positive academic performance
“oial idetifiatio ith oe’s school/university residential hall is positively related
to psychological wellbeing
o Self-esteem positively affected
o Social support and social connectedness positively related to both forms of
social identification
Social identification as a student can enhance health-related behaviours if student
norms are also for health-related behaviours
“oial idetifiatio ith oe’s uiesitehaes oe’s desie to patiipate i
university-based decision-making
“oial idetifiatio ith oe’s uiesitresidence hall or as a university student
ehaes oe’s illigess to speak out agaist oute-normative behaviours
(including counter normative study behaviours)
Social Identity and Academic Outcomes
Thee is o uestio that studets’ idiosati abilities, motivations, histories and
personalities all contribute to their approach and success in learning, to their
personal well-being, and their willingness to engage in the broader university life
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Psyc 1005: social identity and academic outcomes (week 5): Self and learning intertwined (self often understood as the outcome of learning) Self has a role in explaining behaviours, shaping attitudes and guiding learning. Social identity theory (tajfel & turner 1986) O(cid:272)ial ide(cid:374)tifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) as a stude(cid:374)t o(cid:396) (cid:449)ith o(cid:374)e"s dis(cid:272)ipli(cid:374)e is positively related to deep. Intermediate level of ingroup-outgroup categorisations approaches to learning. Deep approaches to learning positively predict positive academic performance. O(cid:272)ial ide(cid:374)tifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) (cid:449)ith o(cid:374)e"s school/university residential hall is positively related to psychological wellbeing: self-esteem positively affected, social support and social connectedness positively related to both forms of social identification. Social identification as a student can enhance health-related behaviours if student norms are also for health-related behaviours. O(cid:272)ial ide(cid:374)tifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) (cid:449)ith o(cid:374)e"s u(cid:374)i(cid:448)e(cid:396)sit(cid:455) e(cid:374)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)es o(cid:374)e"s desi(cid:396)e to pa(cid:396)ti(cid:272)ipate i(cid:374) university-based decision-making. O(cid:272)ial ide(cid:374)tifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) (cid:449)ith o(cid:374)e"s u(cid:374)i(cid:448)e(cid:396)sit(cid:455) residence hall or as a university student e(cid:374)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)es o(cid:374)e"s (cid:449)illi(cid:374)g(cid:374)ess to speak out agai(cid:374)st (cid:272)ou(cid:374)te(cid:396)-normative behaviours (including counter normative study behaviours)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers