HEA102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Clinical Trial, Common Cold, Confirmation Bias

48 views5 pages
13 Sep 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Week 4 notes how do we know what works. The independent variable is the intervention that the study has tested. The intervention might be compared to placebo (a dummy intervention that is indistinguishable from the real i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374)(cid:895), or to a(cid:374)other i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374), or to (cid:374)o i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374) at all (cid:894)so(cid:373)eti(cid:373)es (cid:272)alled (cid:858)(cid:449)ait a(cid:374)d see(cid:859)(cid:895). The dependent variables are the things the study has measured to determine the effect of the intervention. They are the variables that the research measures at the beginning and end of the intervention phase of a trial, and sometimes again at later follow-up points. The dependent variables are the outcomes in pico. Sometimes researchers choose to measure surrogate (or proxy) outcomes. Surrogate outcomes are usually biomarkers that are thought to predict the actual outcomes that people care about. For example, a study that measures cholesterol levels is using cholesterol as a surrogate for morbidity and mortality.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers