PSYC20006 Lecture Notes - Fall 2017 Lecture 5 - Neocortex, Mammillary body, Synaptic plasticity

61 views8 pages

Document Summary

Intermittent derangement of the nervous system due presumably to a sudden, excessive, disorderly discharge of cerebral neurons: biochemical basis of seizures. Inhibitory (glutamate) excitatory (gaba) balance: excitatory synapse neurotransmitter: glutamate; action: increases the spread of excitation. Loss of previously conditioned fear and impairment of new fear learning. Reduced memory for emotionally laden events: papez(cid:859)s (cid:272)ir(cid:272)uit mammillary bodies, fornix, anterior thalamic nuclei (atn), cingulate gyrus and hippocampus, lesio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) papez(cid:859)s (cid:272)ir(cid:272)uit result i(cid:374): When hippocampus/atn are lesioned, declarative memory impairment is the most reliable. Issues in research based largely on naturally occurring damage (due to stroke, tumour etc. ), damage is usually not discrete and affects multiple brain areas, hence it is difficult to deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)e spe(cid:272)ifi(cid:272)ally the fu(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s of differe(cid:374)t parts of the papez(cid:859)s circuit: frontal lobes. Start from the hippocampus -> via fornix -> mammillary body -> anterior n. Motor programming (motor & premotor cortices posterior frontal lobes) Cognitive control process (eg problem solving, planning, monitoring and self-correction)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers