ENVI1153 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Wicked Problem

33 views1 pages
27 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Week 5: Energy and Society
Energy and progress
One fifth of energy used for food. 80% is transport, processing, packaging, marketing and
food preparation and storage.
All human societies are problem solving systems that meet the challenge these they face by
implementing increasingly complex solutions. But all complexity costs energy the
institutions and patterned interactions that comprise a human society and dependent on
energy. Not only is energy flow required to maintain a socio-political system but the amount
of energy must be sufficient for the complexity of that system
Peak oil and the growth of oil dependency
Marion King Hubert predicted oil would reach a peak and then start declining. Oil is
declining and there is a rate that it is yet to be found.
The end of peak oil
Once was $38 a barrel and now $65 a barrel. Costs will rise on the ability to have and
continue to life with oil. To extract a barrel of oil from a surface mine the industry must cut
down the forest and move two tons of peat and dirt.
Environment and social costs of oil dependency
Australia
Refineries are decreasing. By 2030 there will be no refineries which means that we will have
less than 20 days of fuel. Hibernia to reinforced to withstand impact of icebergs but it
doesn’t match with the collapse of Greenland ice sheets.
The wicked problems of oil dependency, climate change and poverty
Pathways out of oil dependency
- Localised urgan agriculture
- Human change and immediate effect.
Activity:
Athletics training
- Petrol to get to training
- My own energy to train
- Petrol for my coach to get to training
- Traffic
- Energy for the upkeep of the athletics stadium
- Energy materials to create my race chair
- Energy and materials to create my racing gloves
This has influenced by hobbies because of the effort it takes to get to the destination. It has
influenced my families structure because I need people to assist me because it takes a lot of
energy.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

80% is transport, processing, packaging, marketing and food preparation and storage. All human societies are problem solving systems that meet the challenge these they face by implementing increasingly complex solutions. But all complexity costs energy the institutions and patterned interactions that comprise a human society and dependent on energy. Not only is energy flow required to maintain a socio-political system but the amount of energy must be sufficient for the complexity of that system. Peak oil and the growth of oil dependency. Marion king hubert predicted oil would reach a peak and then start declining. Oil is declining and there is a rate that it is yet to be found. Once was a barrel and now a barrel. Costs will rise on the ability to have and continue to life with oil. To extract a barrel of oil from a surface mine the industry must cut down the forest and move two tons of peat and dirt.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers