MGMT1136 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Critical Management Studies

61 views1 pages

Document Summary

Cms seeks to provide an alternative view to mainstream management practices and theory by questioning mainstream practices and accepted theories. Cms co(cid:373)es fro(cid:373) a (cid:858)co(cid:374)structi(cid:448)ist(cid:859) or (cid:858)relati(cid:448)ist(cid:859) traditio(cid:374) rather tha(cid:374) a positivist tradition. E. g mainstream management sees teamwork as a way in which management can improve business performance by mobilising employs i. e a (cid:858)(cid:449)i(cid:374) (cid:449)i(cid:374)(cid:859) situatio(cid:374). Ho(cid:449)e(cid:448)er cms recognises that mainstream research often ignores the solidarity of teams to pursue their own interests and that teamwork can creat conformism and suppress democratic dialogue. De naturalisation: to question the natural order that is taken for granted (coffee example) Anti-performativity: mainstream management treats the social relations of work as purely instrumental, whereas cms gives an overriding focus on means rather than the ends. Focusing not solely on the results, but how these were achieved weighing up what was sacrificed/needed/the cost to achieve the result, evaluating if it was worth it.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers