Department
Applied Science
Course
APSC 1073
Professor
Semester
Fall

Description
Academic Word List 6 Academic Word List 6 1) alternative i) (adj) Different from what one has and can be used instead. An alternative plan/route/suggestion etc. Because of the heavy traffic, we had to take an alternative route. ii) (n) Something you can choose to do or use instead of something else. I had no alternative but to abandon the experiment. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Alternative Alternate Alternative Alternatively 2) Abstract i) (adj) Represents an idea or object. An abstract idea is one that offers different ways of thinking or seeing something. A painting is an abstract of the actual thing being painted ii) (n) A summary at the beginning of an academic paper. We are required to write a descriptive abstract in English 214. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Abstract/tion Abstract Abstract Abstractedly 3) accurate i) (adj) Gives a correct representation. The measurements were correct; there were no errors. ii) (n) A way to refer to whether something like measurements or ideas are correct. The accurateness of the measurements was perfectly correct. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Accuracy Accurate Accurately 4) acknowledge i) (adj) It is something that may be recognized or showed appreciation for. The gift was something that was acknowledgeable, so we sent a card of appreciation. ii) (n) Something that shows appreciation of recognition for or of something. We sent a letter of acknowledgment to the man who sent the application to the company. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Acknowledgment Acknowledge Acknowledgeable 5) aggregate i) (adj) It is collection from different sources, which is then considered a whole. It was a aggregate group of people who formed the political party. ii) (n) Also a collection of things which form a sum total, or a whole. AWL6 Page 1 Academic Word List 6 The aggregate of minerals formed a rock-like form. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Aggregate Aggregate Aggregate Aggregately 6) allocation i) (adj) Something that can be given to a person. Every employee was given a bonus; the extra money came from a allocatable gift fund. ii) (n) Something that is given. All employees have an allocation of vacation. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Allocation Allocate Allocatable 7) assigned i) (adj) Different from something that can not be asked or required. Employees are given an assignable number of hours to work. ii) (n) Something that is given or required. All employees are given assignments to accomplish. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Assignment Assign Assignable Assignably 8) attached i) (adj) Can be fastened or adhered to something. Tape is attachable because it is sticky. ii) (n) Something that is put on to something else. We often add an attachment to an email. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Attached; Attachment Attach Attachable 9) author i) (adj) ii) (n) (noun) Writer or creator of something, usually written. He was a well known author of short stories. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Author Authored 10) bond i) (adj) ii) (v) How things stick or adhere to each other. The glue bonded the two pieces of plastic together well. iii) (n) The adhering quality or relationship. The two boys developed a strong bond of friendship. AWL6 Page 2 Academic Word List 6 Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Bond Bond Bonded Bonded 11) brief i) (adj) Not lasting a long time. We had a brief meeting this morning from 10:00 to 10:15. ii) (n) A shortened version of a document. The brief was handed out at the meeting. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Brief Brief Brief Briefly 12) capable i) (adj) Skilled and able to do something well. Students are capable of exceptional work. ii) (n) The ability of doing something well. Students have the capability to do exceptional work. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Capable Capable Capabiltiy 13) cited i) (v) To quote or officially document a source in a paper, e.g., using APA or MLA. Students in 102 and 214 need to cite their sources. ii) (n) Forms of academic writing documentation. Correct citations are needed in 102 and 214 writing assignments. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Citation Cite Cited 14) cooperative i) (adj) Willing to help or participate. The man was very cooperative when the police asked him about the accident. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Cooperate Cooperative Cooperatively 15) discrimination i) (n) Awareness of difference. We often use our discrimination when choosing a car to buy. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Discrimination Discriminate 16) display i) (v) How it is revealed or shown. AWL6 Page 3 Academic Word List 6 He displayed his lack of interest by falling asleep before the movie was over. ii) (n) What is revealed or shown. The shoe display in the store was set up in front. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Display Display 17) diversity i) (adj) Revealing difference. The class was very diverse due to students coming from different countries. ii) (n) Something revealing or showing a difference within a group or groups. Diversity among students can lead to interesting conversations. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Diversity Diverse 18) domain i) (n) Area covered, governed or owned. Websites have a domain or “section” on Internet. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Domain 19) edition i) (n) A version of something, often something written. The book is in its 4 edition of printing. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Edition 20) enhanced i) (adj) Providing a clearer view or an improvement on something. The new technology provided enhanced picture quality. ii) (n) The improvement of something. The enhancement of the technology made the new Ipad much more user friendly. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Enhancement Enhancing Enhanced 21) estate i) (n) All one owns or where one lives in large rural homestead. After someone dies, the estate usually goes to the family. He lived on a very large country estate outside the city. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Estate AWL6 Page 4 Academic Word List 6 22) exceed i) (v) To be greater than something. If you do more than you are asked, you than exceed what was expected or asked of you. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Exceed 23) expert i) (adj) Skill or knowledge that usually comes from years of training. To shoot in the Olympics proves one to be an expert marksman. ii) (n) Someone that is very skilled or knowledgeable in something. Professors are experts in their field or discipline. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Expert Expert Expertly 24) explicit i) (adj) Clear, specific and definite. Instructions must be explicit so there is no mistake made. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Explicitness Explicit Explicitly 25) federal i) (adj) Relating to a political unit or unification. State law is not always the same as the Federal law. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Federal Federal Federally 26) fees i) (n) Payment for services rendered. The fees for internet services are 200 SAR/month. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Fees 27) flexibility i) (adj) Able to bend but not break A fishing pole needs to be flexible so that it will not break. ii) (n) The amount that something or someone can bend/adjust to a situation. The flexibility of a plastic depends on its chemical makeup. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb Flexibility Flex Flexible AWL6 Page 5 Academic Word List 6 28) furthermore i) (adv) In addition Furthermore, the plastic is quite flexible, as well as, being light in weight. Noun
More Less

Related notes for APSC 1073

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit