Winter 2018

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2113
Professor
Birdie Bezanson
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
PSYC 2113 Lecture Notes Feb. 14th
- We do’t ko the ause of hoardig ut likely a uleraility
- For some, the aspect of getting things gives pleasure
- We also live a materialistic society
- For soe people there’s soe history of ause so they get attached to objects rather
than people
- Early onset ut people usually do’t get treatet util they’re oer 50
- Body dysorphi disorder did’t used to e its o ategory i the DSM
- Most people experience dissatisfaction with their body but for dysmorphic disorder,
people have a preoccupation with an imagined/perceived defect in appearance. Quite
ofte other people a’t see hat they’re talkig aout. Ski pikig is oo.
- Prevalence is 2-13 percent in the student population
- Specifiers: muscle dysmorphia (high rates of suicide), insight (how much they can tell
that their behaviour is abnormal)
- Serotoi is’t properly regulated
- It is difficult to diagnose because it can be masked by depression
- Eating disorders are more focused on weight while BDD is more about any feature
- Commonalities with OCD: intrusive thoughts, checking
- It also relates to social anxiety
- People with BDD have difficulty perceiving facial expressions
- Treatment: some success with SSRIs, CBT and ERP
- One of the most famous cases of Body Dysmorphic Disorder is Michael Jackson
- Trichotillomania (Hair pulling) disorder: obsessive need to pull out hair, results in
noticeable hair loss and social impairment
- Excoriation (skin picking) disorder: can result in soft tissue damage
- Habit reversal training: becoming aware of behaviour, competing responses (give them
something physical to replace picking), relaxation training
- Social phobia is one of the highest prevalence rates along with PTSD and specific
phobias
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYC 2113 Lecture Notes Feb. 14 th We dont know the cause of hoarding but likely a vulnerability For some, the aspect of getting things gives pleasure We also live a materialistic society For some people theres some history of abuse so they get attached to objects rather than people Early onset but people usually dont get treatment until theyre over 50 Body dysmorphic disorder didnt used to be its own category in the DSM Most people experience dissatisfaction with their body but for dysmorphic disorder, people have a preoccupation with an imaginedperceived defect in appearance. Quite often other people cant see what theyre talking about. Skin picking is common. Prevalence is 213 percent in the student population Specifiers: muscle dysmorphia (high rates of suicide), insight (how much they can tell that their behaviour is abnormal) Serotonin isnt properly regulated It is difficult to diagnose because it can be masked by depression Eating disorders are more focused on weight while BDD is more about any feature Commonalities with OCD: intrusive thoughts, checking It also relates to social anxiety People with BDD have difficulty perceiving facial expressions Treatment: some success with SSRIs, CBT and ERP One of the most famous cases of Body Dysmorphic Disorder is Michael Jackson Trichotillomania (Hair pulling) disorder: obsessive need to pull out hair, results in noticeable hair loss and social impairment Excoriation (skin picking) disorder: can result in soft tissue damage Habit reversal training: becoming aware of behaviour, competing responses (give them something physical to replace picking), relaxation training Social phobia is one of the highest prevalence rates along with PTSD and specific phobias
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit