aaaaaa (0)
Lecture 10

YYAM 3013 Lecture 10: 101 Academic Word List 3

13 Pages
Unlock Document

Acadia University
Youth and Young Adult Ministry
YYAM 3013

Academic Word List 3 Academic Word List 3 1) alternative 1. (adj) Different from what one has and can be used instead. An alternative plan/route/suggestion etc. Because of the heavy traffic, we had to take an alternative route. 2. (n) Something you can choose to do or use instead of something else. I had no alternative but to abandon the experiment. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb alternative alternate alternative alternatively 2) circumstances (n pl) The conditions that affect a situation, action, event etc. Idioms: under/given the circumstances, under no circumstances, in the/certain circumstances. Circumstances dictated that he had to drop this course until the following semester. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb circumstance(s) - circumstantial circumstantially 3) comments (n pl) Remarks, observations or criticisms. Does anyone have any questions or comments? Noun Verb Adjective Adverb comment(s) comment - - commentary 4) compensation (n) Something given or received as an equivalent for services, debt, loss, injury, suffering, lack etc. The insurance company paid him $2000 as compensation for the loss of his car. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb compensation compensate compensatory - 5) components (n pl) i) Constituent parts; elements; ingredients Exercise is one of the key components of a healthy lifestyle. ii) Parts of a mechanical or electrical system Companies that make electronic components for computer products Noun Verb Adjective Adverb component(s) - component - AWL 3 Page 1 Academic Word List 3 6) consent (v) To permit, approve, or agree; comply or yield: We asked his permission, and he consented. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb consent consent consenting - 7) considerable (adj) Rather large or great in size, distance, extent, etc.: We took a considerable length of time to decide. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb - - considerable considerably 8) constant (adj) i) Not changing or varying; uniform; regular; invariable: All conditions during the three experiments were constant. ii) Continuing without pause or letup; unceasing: The constant noise was driving him crazy. iii) Regularly recurrent; continual; persistent: He found it impossible to work with constant interruption. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb constance - constant constantly 9) constraints (n pl) Limitations or restrictions. Because of lack of finance, there have been severe constraints put on building development. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb constraint(s) constrain constrained - 10) contribution (n) Something that you give or do in order to help something be successful. Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for his contribution to Quantum Theory. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb contribution contribute contributory - contributor 11) convention (n) i) A meeting or formal assembly for discussion of and action on matters of particular concern. I can’t believe fans of Star Wars hold conventions, can you? ii) A rule, method or practice established by usage or custom. The convention is to show north at the top of a map. AWL 3 Page 2 Academic Word List 3 Noun Verb Adjective Adverb convention convene conventional conventionally 12) coordination (n) Harmonious combination or interaction of functions or parts. Playing sports improves strength and coordination Noun Verb Adjective Adverb coordination coordinate coordinated - 13) core (n) The innermost or most important part of anything: heart, centre, essence. Fission occurs at the core of a nuclear reactor. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb core core - - 14) corporate (adj) Relating to a united group. She was a corporate executive in a multinational company. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb - - corporate - 15) corresponding (adj) i) Agreeing or conforming; consistent. As the cost of steel goes up, expect to see a corresponding rise in building costs. ii) Associated in a working or other relationship especially to the same or like wholes. Corresponding parts of similar triangles. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb correspondent correspond corresponding correspondingly 16) criteria (n. pl). Singular criterion The standards or judgments on which a decision may be based. These are the criteria for the selection of the best applicants for interview. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb criterion - - - 17) deduction (n) i) Arriving at a conclusion by reasoning; specifically: inference in which the conclusion about particulars follows necessarily from general or universal premises. Our deduction was based on information given to us at the time. AWL 3 Page 3 Academic Word List 3 ii) Something that is or may be subtracted. Any equipment broken by you will lead to a deduction from your salary. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb deduction deduce i) deductive deductively ii) deductible 18) demonstrate (v) i) To show clearly. You must demonstrate a sufficient knowledge of the subject in order to pass it. ii) To prove or make clear by reasoning or evidence. The latest test results clearly demonstrate that the new drug works. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb demonstration demonstrate demonstrative demonstratively 19) document 1. i) (n) An original or official paper relied as the basis, proof or support of something; e.g. a passport. All attached documents must be original or certified copies. ii) (n) A computer file containing information input by a computer user and usually created with an application. To read pdf documents you need to install a product called adobe acrobat reader. 2. i) (v) To support statements in a book with citations and references. You must document all your sources in your report. ii) (v) To support a claim with written evidence or proof. Can you document the claims you’re making? Noun Verb Adjective Adverb document document documentary - 20) dominant (adj) Having primary control, authority or command over other things. Apple has been dominant in the computer IT sector in recent times. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb domination dominate dominant dominantly 21) emphasis (n) An object, idea, etc, that is given special importance or significance. The teacher put great emphasis on the need for self-study as well as classroom study. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb emphasis emphasize emphatic emphatically AWL 3 Page 4 Academic Word List 3 22) ensure (v) To make sure, certain or safe; to guarantee. They took steps to ensure the safety of the passengers. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb - ensure - - 23) excluded (past participle) i ) To prevent or restrict the entrance of. Employees and their relatives were excluded from taking part in the contest. ii) To bar from participation, consideration, or inclusion. You can share files with some people on the network while others can be excluded. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb exclusion exclude exclusive exclusively 24) framework (n) i) A basic conceptual structure (as of ideas). He questions the study's theoretical framework. ii) A structure composed of parts fitted and joined together. The panels are attached to the building's steel framework. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb framework framework - - 25) funds (n pl) An amount of money, etc, saved for a certain purpose. All his funds were saved in the bank. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb funds fund - - 26) illustrated (adj) Containing pictures or drawings. An illustrated book. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb illustration illustrate illustrated - 27) immigration (n) The movement of non-native people into a country in order to settle there. We will put in place 24-hour security at ports to prevent illegal immigration. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb immigration immigrate immigratory - AWL 3 Page 5 Academic Word List 3 28) implies (v) To express indirectly or by inference. War implies fighting and death. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb - imply - - 29) initial 1. (adj) Of or relating to the beginning. My initial reaction was one of surprise. 2. (v) To mark or sign with an initial or the initials of one's name. He initialed each page of the contract. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb initial initial initial initially 30) instance (n) An example given to prove or illustrate. To cite a few instances. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb instance - instant instantly 31) interaction (n) A mutual or reciprocal action or influence. Games encourage social interaction between children. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb interaction interact interactional interactionally 32) justification (n) Proving or showing something to be right, reasonable or just. No human experiment ought to continue if there isn’t scientific justification for it. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb justification justify justified - 33) layer (n) A thickness of some material laid on or spread over a surface. Everything was covered by a thin layer of sand. Noun Verb Adjective Adverb layer layer layered - AWL 3 Page 6 Academic Word List 3 34) link (n) i) Anything serving to connect one part or thing with another. Grandparents, our link with the past. ii) A unit in a communications system, as a radio relay station or a television booster station. Radio links between the islands were lost during the cyclone. iii) A segment of text or a graphical item that serves as a cross-reference between parts of a hypertext document or between files or hypertext documents. Also called hotlink, hyperlink. You will be provided appropriate links to downl
More Less

Related notes for YYAM 3013

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.