PHIL 335 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Ecosystem Health, Environmental Justice

137 views2 pages
Unit 1
1. What do you think “health” means? Based on your definition, do you consider yourself
healthy? In answering this question, be sure to consider the various definitions of health
offered in this unit.
In my perspective, “health” is a multi-dimensional aspect that requires a holistic approach. A
holistic view of health will encompass a combination of how an individual feels along with
maximizing the dimensions of wellbeing to the best of one’s individual capacity. Based on this
perspective, I do consider myself to be a relatively healthy person. The dimensions of wellbeing
include, but are not limited to: physical, mental, social, spiritual, and environmental. The concept
of dimensions of wellbeing stem from the definition of health provided by The Canadian joint
Federal/Provincial/Territorial Advisory Committee on Population Health. They refer indicators
of health and how they are each influenced. All the details of these dimensions add up to the total
definition of “health”. In essence health is according to Levins and Lopez, “it is true both that we
are responsible for our own health and that health is socially determined” (p 4).
It is difficult to define “Health “. Although, I would define myself as a healthy person, with room
to improve in a few dimensions. All of the dimensions of wellbeing are expandable, and can be
manipulated in many unique ways; however, the main point remains true. We may conclude that
“health” is a complex, multidimensional term that requires a holistic approach to living a well
balanced life.
2. What are the main characteristics of an “ecosocial” approach to health? Is this approach
to health compatible with the definition of health you consider most appropriate? Why or
why not?
The “ecosocial” approach underscores the interactions between ecological and social
conditions which have a significant impact on our health:
Society creates the exposures to physical factors both by producing them and by directing
them at particular populations. Social conditions produce the differential vulnerability of
communities and provide the resources, knowledge, and confidence to affect exposures
(p. 284).
Environmental justice, Ecosystem health, and social determination
This approach is compatible with the definition of health that I consider appropriate
because it is taking a holistic view, including more than one aspect of health
3. What are some of the determinants of health? Which ones do you think are most
important, and why?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In answering this question, be sure to consider the various definitions of health offered in this unit. In my perspective, health is a multi-dimensional aspect that requires a holistic approach. A holistic view of health will encompass a combination of how an individual feels along with maximizing the dimensions of wellbeing to the best of one"s individual capacity. Based on this perspective, i do consider myself to be a relatively healthy person. The dimensions of wellbeing include, but are not limited to: physical, mental, social, spiritual, and environmental. The concept of dimensions of wellbeing stem from the definition of health provided by the canadian joint. They refer indicators of health and how they are each influenced. All the details of these dimensions add up to the total definition of health . In essence health is according to levins and lopez, it is true both that we are responsible for our own health and that health is socially determined (p 4).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers